-=PCTechTalk=- =PCTechTalk=- Re: re organizing my drives/computer project - Keeping PC cooler

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:36:06 -0700

I JUST read this email.... as for M$ getting into the Norton business. well
I have very fixed feelings.  I worry about any one company having too much
control.

I do not like M$'s plan of having all applications on line and you subscribe
to them. I want to own what I pay for.  I do not want my personal letters,
correspondence, budgeting,etc on line.  I don't care what promises they make
me.  Promises always seem to be broken and their TOU usually leave them an
out of any liability.

As for Norton, they are absolutely the worst of the worst for buying good
companies and letting the products die!
The bought out PC Tools over a decade ago.  That was what System Works is
based upon I think.  It also use to do a great job for allowing you to move
files from one directory to another.  It had a good search engine too.  I
use to buy PC Tools for $7 and they had a deal with free shipping.  When
Windows 3.1 came out they made a Windows version (and it had COLORS! lol!)
and they had to include a full size manual it was $14 including shipping.
At that time, Norton was pretty much an antivirus company.. along with
McAfee.

Norton bought DataQuest and left Partition Magic and their other programs
where they were or just dropped them.  It is still at version 8 although I
think they made some change for XP.  Data Quest had a good company and great
helpful tech support.
Norton Ghost is being left by the wayside now for Save & Restore.  Only
Save & Restore Version 2.0 works on Vista.

Then, they bought GoBack.  This was an awesome program that saved my butt
many times.  But, it is still at version 4 when they bought it.  I had
purchased it from Roxio - before they were Roxio...lol!
I got a download version and the deal was that you could FOREVER download
any program you bought from them.  Lo and behold, my Go Back died and I the
backup disk/cd was corrupted.  I went to Roxio and they could not give me a
copy of the program as they had sold it to Norton (It was so soon after the
purchase, I did not even know it had been sold).  I called Norton and since
I had not purchased it from them, they could not give me a copy.  I told
them I could provide a copy of my Roxio receipt/ screen shot of my current
Roxio account showing I had purchased it, but to no avail.  I had not paid
Norton and they could not give it to me.  I talked to a number of people and
unbeknownst to either company, both companies sent me a copy of the program
FREE.  Norton even Fed Ex's to me overnight!
Of  course, I know it was the individual employee that made the decision, it
was not the company.  Roxio would have been violating the sales agreement
with Norton and Norton would not give you anything leeway at all.  It does
not work in Vista and that is a shame.  But, Vista's Shadow copy should
cover this.  I have to learn more about that.

I am right with you.  I agree with you on the M$ LiveCare, but I thought I
would give it a shot.  I have been paying Norton (well they think so...even
if it was only sales tax and rebate processing out of pocket costs) ...so
maybe M$ will figure out how to take care of its own program.

As for Norton, although I have been a loyal savvy customer (getting their
products free after rebates for years and years) I am frustrated with their
control of my world too.  My personal dislike of using different products
for different things is I hate finger pointing.  One blames another product
and they blame a third and the third blames the first two!  lol!  Been there
done that.. At least having one company, I do not care what the answer
is..THEY have to fix it.  Norton has done that for me.  Now, the products
are not Vista ready and I cannot sit forever.

Jerry will be taking the Sony to Vista.

His Gateway will stay with XP and continue to use the Norton products.

The hard drives in the new Vista (Fry's)  computer are vertical...not laying
on top of one another and there is a fan directly on them.  The front of the
cabinet is a screen and you can feel the air coming out.

I do need to know..what are the acceptable temps for the motherboard and
hard drives?

I have speed fan...but it is in C instead of F..so I am not so sure what the
temps/readings mean and I keep having to go look up the conversion
chart...lol!
If I had a range..and especially a danger range...that would be good.

I will miss the utilities and need to find a replacement.  The only
Utilities they have that are Vista is the 360 program which is $70 and it
has the antivirus email firewall, PC tune-up keeps your PC running at peak
performance Embedded support components diagnose problems and help you
quickly resolve common issues, etc/
etc all in it.

The only part I would be interested in is:
Tune up your PC and optimize its performance (PC tune-up keeps your PC
running at peak performance
Embedded support components diagnose problems and help you quickly resolve
common issues)
Find and fix problems that slow your computer
Remove unwanted Internet clutter and temporary files

That is not $70 of programs!

Oh well, gotta go.. Jerry says thanks for the kiss....  glad you brushed
your teeth!  lol!
He is working on the rebates...for one care..so I best go...
Thanks...
Rose