-=PCTechTalk=- re organizing my drives/computer project

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 02:04:42 -0700

Hi GMan,

I found out today I will have to buy Acronis to partition my hard drives on
this new Vista Computer.
Partition Magic is not Vista Friendly.
While Windows will partition a drive, its use is limited.
I have 2 500 GB internal hard drives and one 400 GB hard drive.

I am able in Windows Vista to 'shrink' the drive in half, but that is it.
Also, the Windows Vista  ability to 'shrink' does NOT take into
consideration data that may have been saved on the drive beyond the 1/2 way
point.  So, if a file or table was saved at the end of the drive... it would
no longer be in the same directory.

With Acronis, like Partition Magic, if I repartition a drive, the data will
stay with the original drive partition (providing I make the partition large
enough to hold all the data - and that is NOT an issue here)

After using Norton for years, I am going to give the Microsoft Live OneCare
a shot.

I will use the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of Norton first of course.

Most of the stuff I have written above, I am sure you already knew, but I am
just putting this out here for everyone.  It has been a while (months) since
we spoke of my re-organizing my hard drives.
I am finally near ready to do so.

My mind at the moment is to utilize the internal drives for my day to day
use and use the gazillion external fire wire drives for backups.  I am
thinking I would set a backup to run each day.  I am thinking setting up a
schedule will be good.  I can set a reminder for myself so I know which
drive(s) to turn on.
I will probably give one external drive for a backup to Jerry's (The
Gateway) current, soon to be old computer.  I will then probably give a
couple to my old computer (The Sony) , soon to be Jerry's new computer.

Again, nothing is in concrete..I am just thinking.

By the way, when I said the other day, that the computer was set up for
raid, I meant that there were two specific serial drive ports on the
motherboard for the raid setup.  That is in addition to the 5 serial ports
for internal hard drives.  There were only spaces available for 3.  One has
an open space, but the 'thing' (technical term) that you sit the drive
on..is not in one of the bays.  We think they took it out to put the card
reader in the front of the machine and then there was something else (maybe
the BIG graphics card) blocking access to the other bay.  I do not need that
space anyway)  I did not ever see that on the Sony, so that was new to me.
When I was a kid, Raid was a funny bug killing commercial!  (Ok, so maybe I
was not exactly a kid.... lol!)

I will try to update the spread sheet I had done before.  I am leaving the
physical drives in the Sony.  They are PATA drives anyway, but I need to
take the data from the second drive.  I do not want to do that until we
decide what to do....  But that will hold Jerry up from getting the Sony as
HIS computer.  His Gateway is on its last legs and is crashing a lot...and
is tired.  I think part of his problem is that it is a 2.0 GHz machine and
he is trying to do too much with it.  He has a bunch of external USB drives
and leaves them on most of the time.  He only has 1 GB of ram.

The Sony will be better for him as it is a 2.6 GHz machine with 3 GB of the
ddr ram.

While I am still feeling my way around Vista, little by little I am starting
to 'get it'!

Microsoft has been excellent in responding to my inquiries and has even
phoned me back to ensure everything is working ok on two different issues I
have had.

I think I have about 2 - 3 weeks of FREE tech support available to me.  (I
think you get 90 days)

So, hopefully tomorrow, I will send you directly, my hard drives
listing..and what is on them..and then be ready for your insightful
input....
Oh!  By the way, I absolutely agree about the Utility partition being done
away with.  I will put those files on the Programs directory under
Utilities.