-=PCTechTalk=- Re: dialup and high speed cable access question

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 22:13:04 -0400

Cristy,
    That's pretty much all there is to it.  If you have the ethernet port on
your computer, just plug into the router.  Windows will recognize the new
network and guide you through setting it up.  When you take the machine
home, it will still recognize your old setup and ignore the new network
until it's detected again.  In other words, Windows will ignore whatever
setup it doesn't see, but it won't delete it.

    Just remember that you'll have to give the new setup the same network
name as her system if you also want to use the connection for netwoking with
her machine (shared files &/or printers, scanners, etc.).  If you're not
sure how to do that, give a yell.          :O)

Peace,
GMan