-=PCTechTalk=- Re: OT

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:05:55 -0500

Sandi,
    DishNetwork is the one I have.  Oddly enough, they subbed the install
and maintenance to WildBlue.  The pricing is set by the primary company
(DishNetwork in my case and Nex-Tech in theirs).  So if it seems expensive,
it's not because of WildBlue (even if that's what they're trying to make you
believe).  My neighbor has DishNetwork's satellite TV service and hasn't had
any problems at all, but the TV signal doesn't use the same beam.

    Your neighbor's business is most likely part of a Wi-Fi network like
Anitra's.  Line of sight is extremely important to prevent speeds from
dropping or not reaching altogether.  We just had a new company fire up a
tower in our county, but a test has already shown that we can't get the
signal here.  While the area does have slight hills and valleys, we're
pretty much at the same level with very little land in the way.  However, I
suppose there are just too many trees for the signal to pass through to get
here.

    As for getting a tower in your own back yard, give the company a call
and let them know you're interested.  They may not necessarily feel the same
way now, but most carriers are always looking to expand and they will never
consider your land unless they know it's available.  I know of one farmer
who let a wireless company put a cell tower on his land.  He gets something
like $1000 a month from them in return.  Still, do some research into
emissions and such before you commit to something like that.  I have no idea
how environmentally, ecologically or electrically intrusive these things are
to humans, farm animals and crops.

Peace,
GMan
http://reddit.com
"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"