-=PCTechTalk=- Re: My Contraption

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 15:48:39 -0700

Becky,

Just a word of warning about external cases and putting in drives that are
sold as internal drives into external cases.

I had an internal hard drive (that I believe was a Seagate or Maxtor - Now
the same company) and put it in an external case that I had purchased.
At that time, external drives were a LOT more expensive than they are today.

At www.frys.com, you can purchase a 500 GB External USB 2.0 hard drive for
$119 (it is $60 off - No rebates involved!)

These cases are made for their drives and have the cooling, included.  I am
not sure of the warranty of this drive, but I believe it is 5 years.
I personally KNOW that Seagate has been very good with their warranty as I
once  had an issue.  (I will not go through the whole story, but they messed
up and sent me TWO replacement drives about 2 weeks apart, and I never could
get them to take one back.  I was willing to send it back, but I wanted them
to pay the shipping.   They had just moved to a new building and a new
computer system and the guy finally told me.  It would be easier for
everyone if I just keep the drive as an apology for taking so long in
sending the first replacement and for my follow up calls.  He said I could
register it for warranty and thanked me for my honesty.  (This was a
supervisor who I asked to talk to when folks who answered the phone kept
insisting they did not send me two drives...lol)

In any case, I was asked if my drive had been put in an external case.  When
I asked why, I was told that the warranty ONLY covered their drives used
internally.

Now I told this to someone else recently and the feed back they got on a
tech list as no one had ever  heard of that.  (Now I admit, this was
probably 3 yrs ago..and maybe policies have changed, but I still have the
concern.)

Also, some drives have longer warranties than others.  Some are 1 yr, 2 yr 3
yr and 5 yrs.

So, this is just a word of caution.

I always use to put drives in external cases, buy metal ones as they
dissipate the heat better, but now that external drives are so much cheaper,
I prefer to have the warranty on the case and the drive.

If an external drive case you purchase dies, it can kill the drive too.
Just a thought.....

enjoy!

Rose