-=PCTechTalk=- Re: My Contraption

  • From: Becky kane <bekkykane@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 08:27:05 -0700 (PDT)

I'm going to take a picture and post it of the cables, I think I see the place
for the other drive and it looks just like you described but it looks like it
has a place for three more drives. I have learned a lot form this post Don.
Thank you and I'm saving it :-)

  God Bless
  Becky

Don Wilcox <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  The cable to the SATA drive connects to the controller (which is likely
integrated with the motherboard). The cable has a flat connector about 3/4
inch with and 1/8 inch thick... very similar to the type of connector seen
on iPods and some cell phones.

The controller should have connections for two hard drives. The connection
where the original was connected will be drive C and the other, if
installed, will be drive D in the absence of changes in Setup or Vista, or
selections via a boot manager.

In setup be sure to have your SATA drive(s) set to AUTOMATIC if installed or
NONE if not installed. May be AUTO and OFF depending on your BIOS.

If you are installing one or more EIDE-PATA drives be sure they are turned
on and properly set in setup. They should be configured as Master/Slave as
in a traditional setup. Check your owners manual or support website to be
sure. If your master PATA drive will be your default boot drive, it will be
C, the other PATA drive will be D and other drives will be assigned letters
based on order recognized by BIOS or Vista.

Your motherboard should have:

SATA controller to connect 2 SATA drives
PATA controller to connect at least 2 drives (PATA and or optical) and maybe
4 drives
and maybe a second PATA controller to connect at least 2 drives (optical or
PATA) and maybe 4 drives.

Unless you pay extra to get round cables, your PATA drives will use the
traditional flat ribbon cable.

Don