-=PCTechTalk=- Re: My Contraption

  • From: Becky kane <bekkykane@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 22:03:50 -0700 (PDT)

You have a very good point there and seeing Gmans post, your two minds must
have been sync. Your right, this has to be a old computer and other than the
120 gig drive and the new 80mm fan I bought already outlived it's days.

  I do have some worries about vista though, but no matter what I'll end up
with it soon. Your points are very true, now I just need to figure out
bare-bones vs store bought prices. I'm going to do some figuring on it, try to
get the best as I can and still stay in budget.

  God Bless & Thank You
  Becky

Don WIlcox <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Becky,
I've been out of this thread for a while also so these comments may not be
pertinent...

If your existing machine is only 866 MHz it is likely full of old and slow
technology. Unless the parts you want to carry forward are a lot newer than
the rest of the computer you need to take a close look at their speed and
their capabilities. Especially if you are going to upgrade to Vista at the
same time. Video card capabilities and memory are critical to take
advantage of many features in Vista.

Your old parts may be so slow as to create a bottleneck for your new
computer that will make it run as slow or slower than your old computer did.
Older harddrives run at 5400 rpm or slower and have very small onboard
caches. Older CD-RW drives are not only much slower but are also obsolete.
Newer drives are much faster and burn CDs and DVDs, including dual layer,
RAM and lightscribe discs.

If it is your plan to spend between 250 to 500 bucks on a barebones systems,
you might want to consider looking at complete pre-built sytems at Wal-Mart,
Sam's Club, Costco etc. At Wal-mart a 3GHZ computer with 1GB RAM, DVD super
drive and Vista Home Premium can be had for as little as $398.

Of course buying a complete pre-built system does nothing to teach you how
to put together and take apart a computer, so if that is important factor
that into your decision process also.

Don