-=PCTechTalk=- Re: My Contraption

  • From: Becky kane <bekkykane@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 02:27:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi GMan
  I guess it is my turn to apologize to you, sorry I've been away for so long.
I do like the idea of a bare-bones system. I do think it would probably be my
best bet, I really don't think I'll be using it for much more than what I'm
doing now. Simple email and pictures but no real hard things. looking at web
sites and such.
The parts I would be carrying over are....

  the 2 drives 40 & 120 gig
  the 2 cdrw drives
  the usb card
  and the Nvida ge force2 MX/MX 400 video card

  cannot think of anything else I would want but the software, right now it has
512 megs of ram and it's a dell 866. I do not know what else it has but tell me
and I will hunt for it.

  God Bless and Thank You
  Becky

GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hiya Becky,
Sorry about the delay, but my job abducted me for the week.

A new mainboard would solve a LOT of things, USB issues included.
However, it should be noted that replacing a mainboard means disconnecting
nearly everything in your system, removing the old mainboard and then
installing the new one and reconnecting everything (but to locations that
may be in a different part of the new board). Of course, we'd be right here
to help guide you through the entire process as needed (it's more tedious
than difficult). Replacing the mainboard may also mean replacing your RAM
if the new board supports a different type than what you're currently using.
In many cases, it would also mean replacing the CPU, but you have already
brought up privately the idea of buying a bare-bones system which would
already include a new CPU and heatsink/fan (and possibly other things).

There are always a ton of barebones systems being offered by numerous
retailers, but our best bet would be to try to tailer your choices to what
would best serve your situation. A bare bones system assumes that you
already have a bunch of parts that you will carry over from your old system.
Typical carry over items can include the old hard drive(s), video & sound
cards, CD/DVD drives, dial-up modem (if needed), computer case & power
supply. To best help you target a worthy kit, we'll need to work up a
detailed list of the items you would be looking to 'roll over' into the new
contraption. I know I sent you what I had in my archives about that system
(and you then provided some more updated info), but I have no idea where I
found it. Perhaps you can remind me of what your system has and we'll see
what we can figure out for you. It's also important that you include any
major tasks that you'd like to use the computer for (even if it's far off in
the future). These would include things like photo manipulation
(Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro), movie editing, 3D image creation, modern game
playing, transferring old vinyl records or VHS tapes to your hard drive
(usually in order to then burn them to CD/DVD), etc.. Knowing these things
will better help us to make sure you get the funcionality you'll need from
the parts we present to you.

Finally, it may be true that I know more than you (to be more precise, I
simply have more experience with contraptions and their nutz n bolts and I
read a LOT), but I have a strong feeling that it's not going to take you
very long to catch up. Especially considering the ideas that seem to
interest you the most. :O)

Peace,
GMan