-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Microsoft XP.

  • From: "faythe&al" <rem41mag@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 23:18:16 -0500

to all who answered my call 4 help regarding upgrading to XP from ME...

I download the XP advisor & the report was ...
hardware that may need additional files :
Universal serial bus controller, NES PCI to USB enhanced host controller..
which I determine to be the internal USB 2.o 5-port PCI card I had my son
install for me. the box says it requires windows 98se or higher.

Software that must be reinstalled :
DirectCD 3, has a known compatibility issue with XP... ( Roxio)
Easy CD Creator 4 ( Roxio)
Musicmatch jutebox
Quicklink III

All above came preinstalled on my system when bought. they may be on my
recovery disks ???
I do use my CD burner & DVD drive, so I would want to keep them & not buy
new ...
It also mentions that my DVD movie player  may be incompatible & may need
an upgrade.
CD-rom drive brand- Mitsumi CR-4804TE CD-ROM ( cd writer plus)
DVD brand- Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1402

Incompatible hardware issues :
keyboard manager ( on start menu)
another item preinstalled. right now I do not use this feature.
Logitech Optical wireless mouseware added by me & still would like to use.

Software that might not be compatible :

AVG control center ( a startup program)  the antivirus I downloaded from
the net.

My question is... are these things I can just get downloaded from the net
for free? Or would I have to buy new hardware, ect??
I know I can reload the AVG.

Thanks again for all your help.

Faythe