-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Microsoft XP.

  • From: "faythe&al" <rem41mag@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCtecktalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:44:07 -0500

I have a question regarding XP pro, too... don't know if anyone can have the
answer or not but ....
I run the dreaded windows ME edition & have had to reformat & uninstall &
reinstall more times than I can count ... I have a store bought HP pavilion
8755c w/800mhz, 128mb sdram, 30gb hard drive, plus my son added another memory
card to bring it up to 383mb total. I also replaced the cheapy modem that came
with it & put in a US Robotics 56k performance pro PCI modem.
My son sent me a copy of xp pro, can I install this over ME? or would I have to
remove all of ME 1st ?
I have problems with.... ( short version) frequent slow downs or freezes, Odd
error messages, will suddenly not find or recognize a program or hardware item
that has always been there, will not hold any changes or remember simple
passwords...i.e. will not remember that I have turned off a password needed to
turn on computer as I am only one using computer.... these can happen for no
reason or after I add any software, might not happen right away, but after
running a few weeks or longer.It is like the computer just 'forgets'?      I
empty my temp boxes almost daily & scan disk & defrag pretty regularly. after
my last total reformat it took 2 weeks before I could even get it to dl any
thing , including a patch from microsoft. I have not had any virus problems (
knock wood) & I run the free version of AVG for AV, plus my ISP ( slowwww dial
up, that likes to disconnect for no reason, but no other choices for me) has a
mail scrubber program that blocks most virus' before they ever get to my mail
box, in fact it was blocking that new bogus microsoft patch attachment one
before any AV programs were sending out warnings about it.
I would love to get my programs back on. I don't do heavy computing, mostly
email. but like to play with PSP7 & only make simple tags ( so far) and hubby
has a digital camera & I like to resize them & fix them.
okay, deep breath... tried to keep this short, really ...
so, in short, could I install XP pro right over ME & would it really make a
difference with the gremlins I have to keep battle with???
thanks, Faythe

>>>Yes, you can install Office XP onto your ME operating system. The XP in the
name just signifies to new path of naming MS uses.

---Troth