-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Microsoft XP.

  • From: "faythe&al" <rem41mag@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:57:41 -0500

thank you for the kind advice.
I cannot afford another computer, and actually have some free tech support &
insurance ( if you want to call it that) left on a extended warranty I bought
at time of purchase. I figured with this being my 1st computer & knowing zilch
about them, I could easily mess it up. well every time I had a problem I was on
the phone for  hours & sometimes several attempts to fix it. they have never
come to the house yet.. and the last few times I ended up reformatting &
reinstalling, they told me it was a software problem & not covered ... I know I
keep the machine clean, as I had my techie friend check it out & he could not
find any problems either...
I think some may come from the slow dial up, since I live in a rural area, & my
phone lines may have been chipmunk chew toys after put in, they found the
freshly dug soil for the line an easy to add on to there homw tunnels... but
alas the phone company can find no problem either ....
My son lives across country , or I would have him tweak it for me. He put in
the 4 port usb 2.0 PCI for me , the last time he was home. He also said my
tower is very UN-friendly as far as upgrades go....

I may try the clean install of the XP program he sent me... hopefully if it
doesn't work I can get the old OS back on with the recovery disks ...

For something that I use to email & try to entertain  my brain, it causes lots
of frustration !

Faythe

XP (any flavor, Pro, Home, or Standard/Student) is more stable than ME. I
have +never+ had XP give me problems, save one, and it was not XP's fault.
(I allowed a kid to write his school paper on my Word, and he brought his
disks with him, one of which had a Dumaru virus.) I am also using a RAID
system, which works well.

Rather than get extra cards to give me more USB plugs, I opted for a USB
hub. In fact, a local store had a sale on them and I bought four. Though I
certainly don't need all of them, I could put two on each machine and gain
14 plugs for USB peripherals. For me, it was cheaper to get USB hubs, and
not use up a slot in the machine.

I have heard ME called anything and everything from there to here. Yet, I
still use ME. I have a second keyboard, which is programmable, and just by
pressing one key, I can execute a near batch file. I have one key
programmed to open my genealogy program, look for the "Carneal" data file,
and load it. One button- pow!

I have not seen a gremlin in my XP, and except one, none of my friends have
either.

Robert