RE: salary idea

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'mwkillough@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <mwkillough@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'gabriel.hanauer@xxxxxxxxx'" <gabriel.hanauer@xxxxxxxxx>, 'oracle-l' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:02:23 -0500

It would be interesting to see the statistics on the numbers of DBAs from each
country I think.

Perhaps if there are a larger number of American DBAs per capita then the
statistical probability of meeting a bad American DBA would go up, right?  Same
for the other countries.  If there are 50 DBAs per capita in/from India, and
there are 500 DBAs per capita in /from America wouldn't the probability of
meeting a "bad" DBA in/from America be higher?  It's been a while since I
studied statistics and probabilities...but I think it would have a bearing on
this conversation.

As an American I've run into a fair number of unqualified "DBAs" running around
here, but I've ran into an unusual amount of talented DBAs as well.

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-354-4799
Email: chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and
may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing
the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the
information on any medium.
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:26:54 -0300
From: gabriel.hanauer@xxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with you.
Today I am working with europeans and I used to work with americans and
indians. And I have to say to you that we have really good guys here compared
to them.
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Guillermo Alan Bort
<cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
As a Service Delivery DBA I take offense to that. It is my experience (with
europeans) that their skills are not great, they work extremeley short hours,
take vacation time every 2 months and earn about 5-10 times what I earn
delivering a very good service (not me alone, of course). So, having local DBAs
may feel better, but there is a very high level of skills out there and for a
very low cost... specially for 24x7 active coverage.

And 10-30k sounds right for offshoring DBA services with a reasonable level of
expertise.

cheers.
Alan.-

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Nuno Souto
<dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
I can offshore it for less than that.
But I thought we were talking about a job that requires certain technical and
IT qualifications, not just picking bananas...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

fmhabash wrote,on my timestamp of 17/06/2010 1:28 AM:

Heck ...
I can off-shore this job for 10-30k a year!!!
Sounds too funny, but real .In my previous company, the decision was made to
stop hiring in north America. These are the numbers I was seeing on the the HR
requests.

Gabriel Hanauer

The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Get
started.<http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_3>