Re: salary idea

  • From: Thomas Day <tomdaytwo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:02:42 -0400

As with all things Oracle, "it depends."   My first thought was the low 6
figures. 125K sounds about right.  Western NY is a wounderful place to be
(as long as it isn't Buffalo).  Winters can be brutal but you don't have to
worry about hurricanes.  If the job will contribute to your professional
growth then you should take that into consideration.  You should also
consider the benefits package and the possibilty of reduced (or increased)
commuting costs.

Good luck.  My experience is that experienced, senior Oracle DBAs can count
on pretty steady employment as long as they're flexible and keep studying
the newest technology.  Oracle has been trying to come up with a "DBA
in-a-box" automatic tuning suite.  This will supposedly reduce the personnel
cost to the employer since they won't need a high-powered DBA and increase
the profilt to Oracle since they can take back part of that savings in a
higher license fee.

In actuality, since the automatic tuning suite is based on a generalized use
of Oracle and it never meets the specific needs of any but the lightest
user, Oracle's "DBA in-a-box" strategy means that senior Oracle DBAs who
know Oracle internals are in much more demand.  That's just my $2.00
(allowing for inflation).  Your milage may vary.