[opendtv] Re: Public M/H information

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 11:29:14 -0800

Craig;

At the last NAB, LG, Samsung and Audiovox showed ATSC m/h prototype
receivers.  It looks like the patent disclosure statements for A/153 aren't
public, but each of the above have significant included patents.

Of course, it's 'kind of foolish' at this point to say that anybody is
putting M/H into phones since they have to embed their stuff into silicon,
and we don't have even a publicly-available candidate standard, but that
should change within a few weeks.

It's also possible that the cs will be discovered to have significant nits
and needs to be re-tooled after the candidate standard phase.  Which will
tend to impact silicon-based systems.

Boy, oh, boy do you go out on a limb continuously to fan Apple.  "i-tunes"
tagging in non-iPods and iPhones is an example of Apple playing in the HD
radio space?  One of the reasons I won't consider an iPod or iPhone is
because neither permits me to use radio, and I would like to carry fewer
portable devices, not more.  (I usually carry an am/fm radio.)

I can safely say that it is quite unlikely that M/H will offer much in the
way of useable bits for iPods or iPhones -- like content tagging -- absent
one or the other offering -- say -- an ATSC m/h reception capability.

I don't see Apple listed as an ATSC member http://www.atsc.org/members/ but
Microsoft, MobiTv, Samsung, LG, Qualcomm, and many others are so listed.

Apple is free to play catch-up.  If they start now, they can have their hype
in full-swing by next Christmas, when many of the others will be at a fever
pitch.

John Willkie