[opendtv] Re: Public M/H information

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:19:27 -0500

Interesting. I'm not sure 240p will be enough even for mobile. It has to compete with what I can get already as part of my Sprint PCS Vision plan and is I think already less than the rez of an iphone.

Supposedly at a viewing distance of 3 screen heights the sweet spot for human vision is about 1080p. I guess I view my 2" high phone screen (sideways) at maybe 8 screen heights viewing distance so it would peak out at about a resolution of 1080p * 3/8, or about 405 lines even for that very small screen. I'm guessing even smart phones will soon have an average resolution of above 240p.

But maybe a free advertising supported mobile simulcast of the network HD broadcast could still be viable. ??

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
http://www.oab.org/cffm/custom/PDFs/Jay%20Adrick%20presentation.pdf

which tends to open the tent door quite a bit .