[opendtv] Re: Public M/H information

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 07:54:13 -0500

At 10:48 AM -0800 12/19/08, Kon Wilms wrote:
On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:16 AM, John Willkie
<johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 I'm good enough of a carpenter to know that a level or plumb bob of less
 than 3 feet in length is basically useless, and for critical situations, one
 needs one or the other of at least 5 feet.

I agree. Useless. And what's more, the accelerometer is not that
accurate. To get that level to work you would have to move the phone
around quite a bit and then set it down. But a fool and his money are
soon parted.

It is VERY accurate, and easy to calibrate.

I agree that for some tasks you need long levels - it's hard to find a straight 2 x 4 these days.

That's why I have a range of devices in my tool box, from little torpedo levels to four feet long.

None of them can accurately measure the angle of an incline - for that I would need to spend several hundred dollars on an electronic level that is designed to do this.

For a few bucks, the iHandyCarpenter level has already paid for itself.

My wife had a Christmas party at our house for her office staff. She pulled a cake plate out of the closet and found it was broken. It was a glass serving piece with a large round flat surface atop a pedestal. The top had broken from the pedestal leaving behind a nice "ball and socket." I glued it back together with epoxy, but getting it level required a little work. I put the iPhone on the counter and using the surface level calibrated it to the slightly off level counter. Then I put it atop the cake plate and leveled the top...worked like a charm.