[opendtv] Re: Public M/H information

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:47:42 -0800

Let me see. Samsung, LG, Nokia, Audiovox and Kenwood will be supporting M/H
from the handset end of things.  As a starter.  Which is not to say that the
pump will still need some priming.

The holdup is that only at the highest end of the market are such phones
sold independent of cell carriers and their subsidies.  And, you can't make
this service a commercial success without a broader base than that.

But, there is still a chicken and egg situation. The most interesting
features -- using the OMA rich media environment and the optional back
channel capability in M/H 1.0 will involve skill sets that are still quite
new to broadcast workflows.

Apple is free to play catch-up, but I think their position as innovators
would be better served by being the first to enter the market.  Indeed, my
reading of the NAB fastroad report is that it was geared to Apple.

John Willkie