[opendtv] Re: Public M/H information

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:31:16 -0800

Why is this about the iPhone?  I have been paying attention to this -- aside
from the iPhone -- for months.  Did you notice in the information I linked
to that mentioned just such a feature is suggested for handheld M/H
receivers?  That wasn't an idle suggestion.

It won't be in M/H 1.0, but it's possible that one of the next iterations
will provide for transmitting M/H content with the long axis in the vertical
dimension.  Doing so requires "turning video cameras on their side," running
camera mounts up and down walls, but perhaps it just involves a fancy
algorithm in progressive video cameras.  (Don't try this with interlaced;
the axes aren't equivalent.)  I had to modify this paragraph in the editing
to remove any reference to the (possibly future) data element(s) that may be
involved to accomplish this, but being able to sense screen orientation is
an important feature for handheld.

Indeed, I believe one of the illustrations in the specification shows a
vertically-oriented screen.

It would be nice if the iPhone could receive M/H content by, say, the first
MacWorld conference without an Apple presence (2010).  Funny that the
fanbase hasn't seen this as a possible omen that Apple is at least
deprecating computers.  (Along with the company name change.)