[opendtv] Re: LG LST-3410A PVR

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 08:29:29 -0500

>How can LG rationalize 5th gen receivers in integrated TV sets,
>but not in integrated recording devices? I'd say logically, it
>makes more sense to put the best receivers in recording devices.
>They have to work with no one there to twiddle the antenna.

Why should recording device have any tuner at all?

Recording devices will record bit streams.

This archaic notion that every component needs a tuner is beginning
to go the way of buggy whips. The only exception to this is
mobile/portable products that must work in stand alone mode. For
fixed receivers, its time to move on to home networking and the
logical use of shared tuners and storage.