[opendtv] Re: LG LST-3410A PVR

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 17:40:25 -0800 (PST)

In San Diego, TWC, COX and Adelphia all carry the local HD stations: ABC, CBS,
NBC, FOX and WB (COX only so far) on unencrypted QAM carriers.
All you need is Basic Cable and a QAM tuner.
Check avsforum to see that it is readily available in unencrypted format on
many different cable systems.

Mike Scott posted the fol quote on our local forum:

" Subpart K--Technical Standards
Sec. 76.630 Compatibility with consumer electronics equipment.
(a) Cable system operators shall not scramble or otherwise encrypt signals
carried on the basic service tier. Requests for waivers of this prohibition
must demonstrate either a substantial problem with theft of basic tier service
or a strong need to scramble basic signals for other reasons."

No they don't advertise it, the customer service reps are totally clueless on
how to order it and the service techs usually have to call their supervisor if
you have a problem with it.

                    <holl_ands>
John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
what unencrypted HDTV channels via QAM? I think you are more likely to find
unencrypted SDTV channels on QAM, if they are available there in that form.
Methinks that most to all DTV channels are only available in encrypted form, at
least on the major systems.