[opendtv] Re: LG LST-3410A PVR

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 10:21:26 -0500

At 9:35 AM -0500 11/9/05, Tom Barry wrote:
>Putting a tuner (or many) into a DVR allows the DVR to more easily
>control it (them) for timer recording.
>
>And if you move both the tuners and storage off into the network
>somewhere then what is left to call a DVR?  Though I agree that running
>a DVR on your back end server makes sense.

Sounds like a semantic battle. When you say "call a DVR," you might
be simply stating that a PVR is nothing more than storage for
bitstreams, or you might be saying that you now need a network to
talk to the tuners and the storage.

I suspect it is the former. It should be obvious by now that PVR/DVR
is more of a concept than a product. You can purpose build boxes for
this and call them a PVR or DVR, or you can turn a PC into a media
center with a PVR, or you can buy a cable or DBS STB with integrated
PVR functionality. IN every case the only difference between these
boxes and a networked approach is the connections...i.e. the network.

With a network connection you can control the PVR function from
anywhere on the network, including wherever in the world you happen
to be with a device that can use the Internet to send bits back to
the hub where the tuner and possible storage (i.e PVR) are located).

It seems that some people are still struggling with the whole concept
of a networks home and distributed components that are shared  via
the network.