[opendtv] Re: LG LST-3410A PVR

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 23:36:55 -0800 (PST)

See the end of the fol CFR section:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;rgn=div6;view=text;node=47%3A4.0.1.1.4.11;idno=47;sid=102efdc21274d95e0fa38e45e3d86e64;cc=ecfr

Since last April, cable companies were required BY LAW  to offer a Firewire
capable HD-STB.
Also, any NEW HD-STB's bought after 1Jul05 are required to have Firewire and
DVI/HDMI.

Local OTA should be marked as COPY FREELY.
Subscription and Premium Digital Channels are usually COPY ONCE....to a "5C"
copy protect conforming device (not a PC).
PPV are presumably COPY NEVER.

So, if they broke it, complain up the chain of responsibility...and if that
doesn't work, file a complaint with FCC.

                          <holl_ands>
/////////////////////////////////////////

Gary Hughes <ghughesml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 08:17 PM 11/9/2005 +0000, cbenham@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>There are 7 local HD Broadcast channels carried on cable unencrypted as well
>as many SDI or upconverted NTSC channels. It's only the premium channels that
>go for $ignificant co$ts each month to the $ubscriber that are encrypted.

Interesting. They have moved to signal the STB to disable the firewire
output on basic digital channels. I was able to capture a digital stream
for the few channels I subscribe to up until recently. With the advent
of QAM-256 tuners in TVs and HD cards, I would expect those streams will
be encrypted before long (although it could be reason to upgrade my MDP-120
to a 130...)

gary