[opendtv] Re: Execs see challenges bringing Net video to TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:34:49 -0400

At 4:12 PM -0700 9/27/08, Kon Wilms wrote:
On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 7:09 AM, John Shutt <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 How many "full resolution HD" streams does your data center host?  What are
 the bitrates, and how many simultaneous unicast streams of these full HD
 programs can your data center support?

 We weren't talking about highly compressed "Youtube" streaming, but high
 resolution, broadcast quality HD programming.

Well, you're missing the point. It's almost like there is this
mentality on this thread that you either have postage size Youtube
cr*p, or you have 18Mbit HD, and nothing in between. Therefore,
internet video will never be viable. That is complete nonsense.

In fact I can only laugh at Bert's hypothetical response that follows
yours with sizing everything to 18Mbit. I mean come on. 480p AVC can
be done at 1.5Mbit. 720p can be done at 4.5Mbit. But hey, if he wants
to live in a fantasy world, more power to him. :)

And in the real world...

Apple is selling very high quality HD movies and HD TV shows that use average bit rates in the 4 Mbps range:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/09/10/itunes_hd_videos_low_bitrate_include_ipod_ready_versions.html

This is not difficult for pre-produced 720P content.

And another reality.

I have been remodeling a house for my daughter since late June. She and her boyfriend have not been able to move most of their furniture and "stuff" in, including the 65" 1080P Display for the living room and the 32" 720P display for the bedroom. So they have only subscribed to cable modem service until we get the floors down and they can move everything in.

They get their TV fix from streaming services to their notebook computers. Their only major complaint is that they cannot get all the shows they want for free and that they cannot use their big TVs. But with the $60-70 a month they are saving on cable TV service, they have plenty of "loose change" to rent movies and TV shows from iTunes...

Despite all of the protestations from some list members, this stuff is already becoming a reality. It's not a big deal, but a manager at the local Best Buy told me they are selling about 1 Apple TV per day. IF Apple ever finished this product and integrates DTV tuners and a DVR...