[opendtv] Re: Google's Page: White spaces test was unfair

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:15:36 -0400

Wireless mikes are used by MANY groups, not just broadcasters. In theory you need a license to use them, but in reality most of these devices are never registered with the FCC. Among the groups using them:

Churches
Live performance theaters
Independent producers and videographers
Trade show hawkers

I've seen estimates that far less than half of these devices are operated with proper license. NOt that it matters, as the license is a formality. The critical issue is that local broadcasters typically police the channels being used and publish database of the channels that should be used in each market.

And then there is the other reality - there is a large installed base of wireless mikes that use frequencies in the recovered 700 MHz spectrum. These "licensed" devices will not be able to use these frequencies after the analog shut-off. Or more accurately, users of these mikes will likely interfere with the new users of this spectrum.

At 9:44 PM -0400 9/26/08, Albert Manfredi wrote:
Tom Barry wrote:

 I don't want to harp on this much since I don't have much
 knowledge of wireless mike usage and also had no
 interest until now. But, aside from squatters rights, do
 wireless mikes have any legal claim to the white spaces
 over wireless something else? That is, why are they
 enough of an issue they can dictate policy?

 Should I care about them? Or are they just another issue
 created by the broadcasters lobby as part of the spectrum
 monopoly game

Could be, in part. Wireless mikes are used BY the broadcasters, who naturally know a lot better whether they risk interfering with anyone than do the drunken fans at the ballgame.

See:

for an explanation.

To me, this whole white space thing has always seemed like fertile ground for the most clueless to yell foul. The arguments in favor seem to revolve around "only those who resist change don't want this spectrum used." A typical tactic used by those who don't understand the subject matter to put the opposition on the defensive. (Gee, where have we seen that stupid tactic used?)

Of course, I also don't care so much about wireless mikes at ballgames. But the general subject matter is important. And that article showed how thoroughly confused the arguments become.