[opendtv] Re: Execs see challenges bringing Net video to TV

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:23:05 -0700

Of course, what they will do is to turn that 16 mb/sec to 1.8 mb, and call
it "Turbo HD" or something.

Last night, while watching "Criminal Minds" on CBS on an HDTV, set, I
noticed that while Survivor is now promised to be in HD, that's got to be a
"stretch" since the material from the field was actually SDTV content
stretched to fit the 16x9 screen.  It was quite obviously in SDTV, and quite
obviously stretched.  Maybe "now in HD" means "SDTV material repurposed
badly to pseudo-HDTV."  I did note that the stationary graphic at the end of
the promo was in HDTV.  But, it wasn't moving; even chimps can do that.

I spent some time talking to young, dynamic cable engineering executive at
dinner a few months ago.  David Broberg had asked on this list some time
before that if I knew of any cable systems that actually put three HDTV
signals into a 38 mb/sec QAM multiplex.

He told me that it was quite routine in practice.  They would do a bit of
"rate-shaping" (tsk, tsk), but not much.  Mostly, it was a matter of
carefully selecting the channels.

For example, you could put Discovery HD, a PBS feed (not much movement or
need for bandwidth on concerts or "The NewsHour", and then put one of the
major networks that might air an occasional basketball or football game on
the same multiplex.

Otherwise, the math doesn't work: 16x3=48, which doesn't exactly go into 38
with bits to spare.  And, you always want bits to spare.

John Willkie

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>