[opendtv] Re: Execs see challenges bringing Net video to TV

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 17:26:55 -0700

John;

Fiber to homes just isn't on the cable companies screens.  Period.

They are trying concepts like SDV, and 850-mhz cable (as a trunk
replacement; not a full rewiring) due to the fact that just a few years ago,
the early adopters were able to finish paying off their early 1990's
rebuilds.

They don't want to do that again if they don't have to.  SDV and similar
technologies make it so the trunks aren't the bottleneck.

The phone companies have a different perspective, since their copper
infrastructures don't permit them to throw video services more than a few
hundred feet from rather expensive central offices.

And, the super bowl is a different matter, since bert never referred to live
video or sports (live and high-action eat up bits).

Then, there's the fact that cable firms see their business model as being
centered around being gatekeepers that can charge tolls.  Providing
unlimited bandwidth is a thing of the past; note Comcast's and Time-Warner's
different responses to manage expectations and bandwidth utilization.

IP HDTV video will kill them.  FIOS and AT&T U-verse are different matters.
Both are telcos, and they can actually recycle their copper, unless the
thieves get to it first.

John Willkie

From: "Kon Wilms" <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>