[opendtv] Re: Execs see challenges bringing Net video to TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:55:00 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> What is more likely to happen is that we will see people subscribing
> to IP multicasts. This will require nothing more that is done today
> with existing Internet protocols like RSS. You will simply mark your
> favorite shows and they will be downloads - along with thousands or
> millions of other homes with a single IP multicast of the show.

Multicast would be confined to the network of each ISP, and I expect it
would be used either as you describe, or for live events. Or both.
That's pretty much how IPTV walled gardens operate today, so no big leap
there. The ISP could simply fetch all the TV streams offered by the
congloms, and multicast them only, on its network. Operating much like a
broadcaster does today, but without having to negotiate any franchise.
If the conglom makes those shows available, the ISP can in turn make
them available in the best way he can, over his net.

Unicast would be used for VOD type events, and that would be from a more
local server. And the ISP would in turn transmit programs for this VOD
maybe slower than real time, multicast, to all of his distributed
servers. Or the ISP could rely on customers storing the multicast
content on their PCs, much as they do now with broadcast PVRs. Avoiding
the cost of the distributed servers. It's entirely up to each ISP to
decide what mix to provide to this customers.

> In short, broadcasters have no particular advantage in delivering
> pre-produced content - thier two major advantages are LIVE and
> wireless.

The advantage of broadcast, which includes the way cable, DBS, and even
Verizon FiOS distribute their TV channels, is its amazing simplicity. No
need for a large network of routers and layer 2 switches, switching
individual packets on different routes, at breakneck speeds, to reach
individual customers. Instead, any VOD function is done by a "server" in
the customer premises.

But this broadcast setup also requires a network of local broadcasters
or MVPDs. To me, the real significance of that article was the the execs
**OF THE CONGLOMERATES** are interested in this more direct distribution
approach.