[opendtv] Re: Copps proposes more FCC action

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 17:42:34 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> Sorry Cliff.  I guess my inner troll got the best of me
> for a moment.

Whew. And it unleashed a dump of old posts from the early 2000s.

I would LOVE to see a proper retest done now, using A/76 compliant receivers,
but that's not likely to happen. In any event, if I were Colombia, I'd bypass
DVB-T and go straight to DVB-T2. If the FCC has to consider anything new, I
trust we'd also bypass DVB-T.

The other thing is, I have pretty good proof in my own setup of how NTSC
compares with ATSC, and the comparison is not bad *now*, with the new
receivers. Of course, the digital cliff has to be considered.

With my current antenna in fireplace configuration, I can receive "watchable"
NTSC of most stations in the Wash/Balt markets, except for two that will not
synch in most of the time. But "watchable" only means you can see an image and
hear audio. The analog is not acceptable in any other way. I wouldn't be close
to satisfied with this antenna placement in analog times.

Digital reception is "perfect" instead for local stations anyway, but most of
the Baltimore stations are often (not always) absent from muster. I get a
couple reliably from Balt.

So to me, that says that with new receivers, you can probably get by with a
simpler antenna than in NTSC days, if you live in town or in the suburbs for
sure.

As to what other countries choose, yeah, it's political. And, of course, none
of the comparisons were ever made with A/76 compliant receivers.