[opendtv] Re: Copps proposes more FCC action

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:38:24 -0400

John Willkie wrote:
The "bad system" was NTSC, at least by a decade after adoption.  The same
cannot be said for 8-VSB.

I guess we will agree to disagree.

When you get reception, your picture is perfect
of near-perfect. ]

Tonight I counted the number of breakups and freezes
that occurred during the 30 minute ABC network news program
received OTA from WPVI-DT, Phildelphia:
I stopped counting at 23. Several times the pertinant information being presented was lost due to the momentary failures of the ATSC transmission/reception system.

It has never been that way with NTSC, nor will it ever be
that way.

While the picture quality is certainly not as good, the information is there without having to guess about what was said during an ATSC freeze or a breakup.

That's much more important to me than "multiplexing" perfect pictures alternating randomly with green and black screen moments accompanied by bursts of silence.

The ATSC system will be found to serve virtually the same audience as the
NTSC system did the day before.  You are actually spinning this one, Cliff.

No, John, I'm just reporting what I see with my own eyes.

Half the country's population DOES NOT RELY on ota, even if you include the
number of satellite homes and double the figure.

Set the bar low for that which you favor (NTSC, I suspect) and set it high
for that which you oppose.

I do not oppose the idea of a high quality video transmission system. I only oppose the one we have now which isn't.

The Congress did not foist a broken system on the country; it adopted the
ONLY terrestrial digital TV system that existed at that time.

The earliest date for a patent filing for an OFDM system for TV use I can find is October 20, 1989. http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=1990/04893

The earliest date I can find for 8VSB is slightly later than the OFDM date.
http://www.patentlens.net/patentlens/search_ajax.cgi?patnum=US/7277505

 JUST LIKE
NTSC.  Oh, that's right -- there was the color wheel system, which had
failed in the marketplace, and which required 3 channels for each station.
Imagine if you had 1/3 the ota channels to watch today.

No. The FCC approved CBS color system occupied the same 6 mHz bandwidth as NTSC. http://novia.net/~ereitan/Color_Sys_CBS.html

Further, at the same time [late 1946] the earlier CBS laboratory color system occupied 12 mHz, RCA's simultaneous color system occupied 14.5 mHz! http://novia.net/~ereitan/CBS_Chronology_rev_h_edit.htm

Time moves on, Cliff.  Do you?

Yes. And I'm also certain of my facts and dates.

P.S.-Did you know that in late 1945, RCA built and tested a complete field sequential television system using color wheels? And that it was capable of 3-D color as well?

http://www.earlytelevision.org/rca_field_sequential.html

Described in detail in the "RCA Review, Volume VII, June, 1946 No. 2."
"An Experimental Color Television System," pages 141-154.