[opendtv] Re: Copps proposes more FCC action

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:42:02 -0700

Signal strength is the problem at Cliff's home.  He has a rather serious
tower to hold his antenna, but it needs to be at least 120 feet higher to
clear the hill that is between him and Philly transmitters.  Clearing the
hill doesn't necessarily mean he will clear the first subtractive Fresnel
zone (which is actually worse than the effect of the hill.)

But, I'm not guessing; I've seen the profile graph.  It's kind of rough to
tell someone that to receive signals well, he'll need to extend his tower
120-140 feet, and then play with the receive antenna position.

Think of the steel, think of the cable (and loss), think of climbing up and
down that tower, which would be close to 10 sections, or 200 feet.

Cliff's situation is more difficult than Mark Schubin's.  Both are outlyers.

John Willkie