[opendtv] Re: Copps proposes more FCC action

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:38:42 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> My last daughter just moved out to an apartment in Queens.
> She has a 2006 42" Philips Plasma and no cable. I convinced
> her to try OTA with a Radio Shack antenna. She has
> repositioned her antenna near the window 3 or 4 times and
> done scans. So far she has found 3, 5 and 6 NTSC channels
> but no digital ones.

Hmmm. Sounds suspiciously like the guy in our own neighborhood, who
wrote in the community rag that he could only receive one channel, with
an outdoor antenna. (But he didn't divulge that he had no idea whether
the outood antenna was even connected to anything.)

Question: is your daughter angling for you to fund her cable
subscription? That might explain why nothing comes in.

Another point: if you can only receive 3, 5, or 6 analog TV channels in
the NYC market, it seems to me that your antenna placement is seriously
wrong. As I said previously, I get a zillion analog channels, more or
less, all quite ghosty, and the antenna is close to the ground and isn't
even close to a window.

It's all about providing enough information, Bob. I am fully aware of
the fact that if folks want DTT reception to fail, either to grind their
axe, or to convince their spouse/parent they need cable, or for whatever
other motive, it is very possible to make it fail.