[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:28:17 -0400

John Golitsis wrote:

> Perhaps not germane to the point you're making, but when we
> moved into this
> house in 1974, pretty much the entire neighbourhood was on
> cable.  There was an
> antenna here, but it wasn't connected to anything and I have
> absolutely no
> recollection of when it and the mast was taken down.  This is
> in Mississauga, about 15 miles West of Toronto.

That's really early for anything other than the original CATV
systems. They had been around for quite awhile by the early
1970s, in communities where reception was problematic. For
example, in towns in upstate NY, far from urban centers and
in hilly terrain. Did that neighborhood have some sort of
problems with receiving Toronto broadcasts?

In about 1970, I remember one of our profs talking about cable
systems for TV distribution. It was something of the future.
Then cable companies started installing cable, in this area,
in 1981 or so. But when we moved to our place in 1983, the
county we moved to was just getting started with cable. Didn't
get cable for another year or two in our neck of the woods.
And this is a close-in suburb.