[modeleng] Stuart Triple Expansion Engine

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:56:03 -0600

At 05:13 AM 12/14/04 -0800, you wrote:
>While I realize that the Stuart design is probably patented,

Al,
     We've had a discussion or two along these lines before on the List,
and although it depends upon what your intentions are, IIRC the concensus
was that a "casting(s)" alone is/are not copyrightable and if you make a
pattern then it is your original creation and you are free to have castings
from it.
     Of course the drawings for the castings and it's parent mechanism are
certainly copyrightable, and the parent mechanism may indeed be patentable
(although in this case I don't think patents are an issue), but you as a
modeler are in the clear unless you copy the design or any part of it and
offer it for sale commercially as your own.  Stuart (for instance) would
then have a valid copyright complaint, as they have lodged against an
Australian company who produce what appear to be rather blatant copies of
Stuart engines.

Regards,
Harry