[modeleng] Re: Stuart Triple Expansion Engine

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:02:39 -0600

Jeff, Al,

I don't bother to lag the cylinders of any of my smaller engines machined
from the solid.  I just make them smooth on the outside and when painted, it
looks like there is lagging on it.  No need to machine flanges as there are
none, but I do cut a thin line around the cylinder at each end to make a
faux cylinder flange.  Valve chests are made seperately and soft or silver
soldered onto the outside of the perfectly round cylinders.  Of course since
I use brass for all this sort of thing, soldering is easy.

Jesse