[modeleng] Re: Stuart Triple Expansion Engine

  • From: "Jeff Dayman" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:30:48 -0500

Hi Lee,

Personally I gave up on castings a while ago due to the cost. I don't doubt
they are expensive to make and there's a limited market for them, but I sure
can't afford them. Here in Canada I was recently quoted $195 each for a
Stuart V10 cylinder kit (yes, just the cylinder kit!)

($1.00 CDN roughly .45 UKP)

So, I've switched to fabricating everything. For the steam roller cylinders
(and a few more models in time) I bought a big bar of Meehanite cast iron, 2
3/4" diameter x 18" for $10 at my local metal supermarket. The stuff
machines absolutely beautifully and being Meehanite is very uniform in
grain. No sand to deal with either, as it's continuous cast bar.

By fabricating, there is one less obvious benefit. When using an expensive
casting, I tiptoe around and be ultra careful measuring and machining for
fear of ruining it. This takes time and could be all for nought if there's a
blow hole or other defect, or I make a mistake. The whole time I'm working
with it there's a kind of dread, which is not fun.

With fabrication, a bit of relatively inexpensive raw stock is all that's at
stake and it could be replaced quickly and cheaply if disaster struck.
Because I'm aware of this, the work seems to go faster and I get more done.

Good luck, Jeff Dayman Waterloo Ontario Canada