[lit-ideas] Re: Is torture wrong by definition?

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:16:40 -0400

At 04:07 PM 4/7/2006, you wrote:

SC: **Although Justice Robert H. Jackson, in his 1949 dissenting opinion in Terminiello v. Chicago wrote the famous comment: "The Constitution is not a suicide pact," we must still act honorably and therefore NOT ignore due process. Acting honorably (and not acting idiotically) means working within constitutional boundaries -- AND by no stretch does not mandate NOT acting at all -- though it does, perforce (and deliberately) limit our alternatives.

Of course when the government begin to make idiotic 'amendments' to the constitution like "marriage is between a man and a woman" how much are those same boundaries going to tighten? What if Bush wanted to make (he probably does) an amendment that says "we can torture people if necessary"? Then would it be okay according to Mr. Jackson?

Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada