[lit-ideas] Re: Is torture wrong by definition?

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:46:50 -0400

>>Of course, I'll never convince you that one gets to a state of not having war by not
having war.

Maybe because it's counter-intuitive? War is the norm in history; peace is the brief interlude between wars. The longest periods of peace have followed decisive defeats. If you want to increase the peaceful periods between wars, you may have to press for decisive defeats.

Not that I don't appreciate the seductiveness of your argument. It's the Aquarian ideal that we can all evolve into Star Trek Gandhi beings with glowing third eyes. All we have to do is act like we're in a better world, and a better world will arise. Throughout my twenties I hoped that could be true.

Now I think we have to act like we're in a better world without any hope for anything.