[lit-ideas] Re: Is torture wrong by definition?

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 09:01:56 -0400

Omar: *I thought that I made an argument that both are wrong
by definition. I indicated that they may be justified
only in special circumstances, namely where committing
those acts would prevent an imminent greater wrong.

I don't understand how something can be wrong "by definition" and also subject to "special circumstances." That was the context of my objection.

If something is considered wrong "by definition," only one example to the contrary is sufficient to disprove it. "By definition, all astronauts are virtuous" can be disproved by showing one wicked astronaut.