[lit-ideas] Re: Is torture wrong by definition?

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 14:48:46 -0400

I think life in prison is overrated.  From I've seen on television and read
about it, it's hell.

It's not a country club, but for those hardened wastes of space, it's not as bad as it SHOULD be.

Removing people from the Earth is not the answer.  Stopping the cycle is
the answer.  Removing people is what Stalin did.  Who would do the
removing?

Me of course -- that's a "Mike" answer.

Where would you remove them to?

Dust.

We need to improve our world, not institute a reign of terror.

I'm not saying a reign of terror, but, if you REALLY a 'good' world, then you have to take radical steps. I don't think you want to go far enough and you certainly don't believe that ANY one is responsible for their life.

The irony of this is that if everyone reacted in the heat of passion, where
would we be?

I think you misread me Irene. I am arguing for a cooling off period after which, some people would STILL carry out the retribution, while still lots of others would NOT. That would be a better place. I NEVER posited such a place where we DO act emotionally. I've had a guy, who I could have easily beaten up, try to pick a fight with me, prodding me, insulting me etc. but my rationality won out because first of all, the 'reason' he wanted to fight was stupid (a girl), second, I didn't want any possibility of being arrested (we were in a public place) and besides, I had something else to do and even if I wanted to fight, I didn't feel like all the bullshit (black eyes etc.) that goes with it.

Would you like to live in a world like that?

You know what is REALLY funny? I put on a cd of Devo after i quoted them and JUST now when I read your paragraph a song called "Beautiful World" came on.

here are the lyrics (sung more than a LITTLE ironically0:

It's a beautiful world we live in
A sweet romantic place
Beautiful people everywhere
The way they show they care
Makes me want to say
It's a beautiful world
For you
It's a wonderful time to be here
It's nice to be alive
Wonderful people everywhere
The way they comb their hair
Makes me want to say
It's a wonderful place
For you
Hey
Tell me what I say
Boy 'n' girl with the new clothes on
You can shake it to me all night long
Hey hey
It's not for me

Why would you need courts if people meted out their own justice?

I'm not saying that those of us who consciously and rationally CHOOSE to carry out or own justice do not also deserve to be punished... But killing the murderer of my child is SURELY less worthy of capital punishment than the act that made me kill the bastard in the first place. If they choose to kill me too, then I'll have to live with that.

Most crimes of passion are of the domestic violence variety anyway. That's why we need to outlaw
spanking and make crossing of boundaries taboo under ALL circumstances. (Except appropriate hugging of course, you know what I mean.) If EVERYONE at ALL times kept their hands to themselves, there would be no crimes of
passion.

IF. IF. IF.

> Again, I direct you to Pianka. What do you say about his 'theory'?

I gave a reference to his idea that ebola could [appropriately] wipe out the 90% of the world who is draining the other 10%. His ideas were so radical that they turned the recorder off at the conference where he was presenting them last week. A quick search for pianka and ebola probably will get you there.

I'm still trying to catch up with Nirvana or Sex Pistols or whatever that
group was that you had suggested.  I forgot to look for them in the library
and now I can't remember their name.  I listen mostly to interviews and the
like.  More fun.  Now, I'm going to do the lawn.  I'm determined this year
to keep ahead of it.

I don't have to worry about encroaching lawns for another month. We had snow yesterday, DAMNED "Global Warming"!