[lit-ideas] Re: Is torture wrong by definition?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:14:07 -0400

Using individuals to reflect the group may not be effective.  Using the
group to reflect the individual can be effective.  The U.S., for example,
can lead by example.  Had we not said, oh, goody! now we can [act like
barbarians] by invading another country because a terrorist group gave us
an excuse, there would be a lot more civilization in the world.  Of course,
I'll never convince you that one gets to a state of not having war by not
having war.  If the U.S. were fundamentally civilized, we would not have as
our economic backbone a weapons economy.  It's off the subject but it
isn't, because civilization, by any definition, is anywhere from difficult
to impossible without safety and stability.  Paint those pretty pictures
and they will be destroyed or hidden until the fighting stops.  This is not
to be confused with pacifism.  That's something else.