[lit-ideas] Re: Is torture wrong by definition?

  • From: "Steven G. Cameron" <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:07:41 -0400

**Although Justice Robert H. Jackson, in his 1949 dissenting opinion in Terminiello v. Chicago wrote the famous comment: "The Constitution is not a suicide pact," we must still act honorably and therefore NOT ignore due process. Acting honorably (and not acting idiotically) means working within constitutional boundaries -- AND by no stretch does not mandate NOT acting at all -- though it does, perforce (and deliberately) limit our alternatives.

TC,

/Steve Cameron, NJ

Eric Yost wrote:

John: When we sink to our enemy's level, we, too, are scum.

Eric: When we fail to act to defeat our enemies, we are idiots.