[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix Hardware additions

  • From: "John Devine (Mail)" <john.devine970@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 19:12:00 +0000 (GMT)

In article <9888826a4f.MThompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Matthew Thompson <mt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <4f6a70bfafjohn.devine970@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           "John Devine (Mail)" <john.devine970@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In article <47886b6a4f.MThompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >    Matthew Thompson <mt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> The camera used was an Olympus D-490 Zoom 2.1 Megapixel. I
> >> don't think the camera can connect directly to the Iyonix
> >> can't see any USB sockets anywhere.

> > Both my Olympus cameras are fitted with mini-USB sockets,
> > known, I think, as Type B.  They're under the flap which
> > also houses the video out socket and the mains psu input.
> > They are marked with the letters 'USB' not with the usual
> > trident symbol.

> Just had a check of the camera I have here and there is indeed
> a flap but there is no USB mini sockets - my mobile has those
> mini USB sockets in it, all the camera has under the flap is
> what looks like a power supply plug and 2 plugs for video out.

> > With an A to B adaptor cable, they plug straight into the
> > Iyonix and, after a few seconds delay, show up as a
> > removable media icon on the icon bar.

> This sounds just the job which Olympus camera is that?

> cheers
> Matthew

It's a C730UZ.  My previous Olympus had a similar arrangement.

I sometimes buy my technology in the Canary Islands where we go
at least once a year.  They are in a tax-free zone (just don't
tell Customs!) so I'm just about to upgrade to a SP560UZ which
someone posting in this thread said also does direct USB
transfers.

One of the sockets on your camera might be an old-fashioned
serial port.  One of my previous cameras had one consisting of a
3.5mm jack socket.  Serial transfer canes the batteries as it's
very slow but it's possible to get a mains power supply for
Olympus cameras.  They're quite powerful for a wall-wart (2 amps
at 6.5 volts) so they're expensive when new but you should be
able to find one on eBay.

JD

--
John Devine  Bolton  Lancashire UK