[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix Hardware additions

  • From: Jeremy Roberts <fjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:56:00 +0000

On 31 Jan 2008, at 22:09, Matthew Thompson wrote:

Mouse
---------

I use the standard Iyonix USB mouse but was given an Optical mouse to
try out, the control is superb and a lot better than a ball mouse,
however it only has 2 buttons and the mouse menu button is now a
scrolling wheel button in the middle (hope that makes sense) and
cannot get used to it, so does anyone know if there is a proper 3
button optical mouse (with Select,Menu & Adjust buttons) do such
things exist ?

I use a Logitech 'MX Laser' mouse. (Probably now superseded?) This has been very satisfactory. It is an optical wireless mouse.

It comes with a small docking station attached to the Iyo by USB which picks up the signal from the mouse. This sits way back against the wall, pretty much out-of-sight-and-mind, until the mouse indicates by its jolly little LEDs showing red that it's wanting a recharge, when the mouse sits in a cradle in the docking station for an hour or two (it has its lunch when I have mine), while the station is charged from a mains socket transformer. Needless to say, the transformer ONLY gets switched on when powering a mouse-recharge: the station is powered via USB in normal use. A full charge lasts the mouse a very long time, I find.

The essential item is !HID, which works seamlessly with the Iyo, and enables one to have left and right clicks, and the scroll-wheel is profoundly useful for scrolling.

MENU: You set a rocking button on the left side, under your thumb, to be menu. I found this very intuitive after a short while (and try to do the same trick with my Apple Mighty Mouse on the Mac!).

The only small quibbles might be that i) this is quite a large/heavy mouse (fine if you have large hands), and ii) if you happen to be left-handed, which I'm not, it's clearly designed for right-handed use.

I'm certain other types of USB mouse can also be driven nicely by ! HID (which is a very nice piece of software in my view).

[snip about MP3]

Digital Camera
--------------------
I would imagine the ones that CJE Micros have listed will work OK with
an Iyonix but how can you be sure which ones will work and which
don't? I had access to an Olympus digital camera and tried to get it
to work with the Iyonix but got repsonse at all when I plugged it in.

There is/was also software available called !CameraDesk for some cameras, but it didn't work very well with large files from my original Canon 300D.

HOWEVER, the point is that USB card-readers are very cheap, and so now I just use one of those, which has never ever failed to be found by Iyo. That enables you to use ANY camera you want which utilises CF or SD cards, or whatever type your reader will read - mine has two slots I never use, which take I know not what, as well as the CF and SD slots which I use for Canon SLRs and Powershot S80.

(You need to put the card into the reader BEFORE plugging the reader into the computer.)

Talking to PC users, I find that for one reason or another a good proportion of them use card-readers instead of plugging the camera in directly. So it's not just our RISC OS workaround.

You can also put files ON to cards using the reader, or course, and so use memory cards as memory sticks.

Many thanks in advance for peoples time, always appreciated.

cheers
Matthew

JR.

Jeremy Roberts