[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix Hardware additions

  • From: rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 10:30:38 +0100

In message <f03afd694f.MThompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Matthew Thompson <mt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Since my additon of a new power supply and USB External hard disc for
> my Iyonix, i'm quite keen to add some more new stuff to my Iyonix

> Mouse
> ---------

> I use the standard Iyonix USB mouse but was given an Optical mouse to
> try out, the control is superb and a lot better than a ball mouse,
> however it only has 2 buttons and the mouse menu button is now a
> scrolling wheel button in the middle (hope that makes sense) and
> cannot get used to it, so does anyone know if there is a proper 3
> button optical mouse (with Select,Menu & Adjust buttons) do such
> things exist ?

My advice is to persevere with the scroll button. It felt awkward for
two or three years, but it was worth the pain in exchange for the
delight of using the scroll in conjunction with the !HID application.
Especially for scrolling large files in StrongEd.

> MP3 Player
> ---------------
> I currently use a Packard Bell Audio Key which is pretty ancient now
> and doesn't sound too healthy. Ideally i'd like an Ipod so I can fit
> in many hundred of tunes, but will it work with the Iyonix, I don'
> think it does? Has anyone encountered a really good large capacity
> Iyonix compatible MP3 player?

You could copy your songs to hard disk on the Iyo and play them
through Paul Vigay's !ROTunes

> Digital Camera
> --------------------
> I would imagine the ones that CJE Micros have listed will work OK with
> an Iyonix but how can you be sure which ones will work and which
> don't? I had access to an Olympus digital camera and tried to get it
> to work with the Iyonix but got repsonse at all when I plugged it in.

It is pot luck with cameras. My brother and I had the same model
Minolta cameras bought a year apart. Mine showed up on the Iyonix,
his didn't, and he had to take the card out and put it into a reader
to download his pictures.

I now have an Olympus SP-550-Ultra Zoom ... which plugs into the
Iyonix successfully.

If you have an idea which camera you want to buy you could enquire on
this group to see if anyone else has the same model and can tell you
if it will plug and play.

--
John Rickman - writing from A9home machine
http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk