[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix Hardware additions

  • From: Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 11:11:26 +0000 (GMT)

In a dim and distant universe <4107c66a4f.roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Roger Foden <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> enlightened us thusly:
> Some cameras will connect directly via USB and appear as removable media
> (just to the left of the floppy on the icon bar). The camera itself may
> need to be cofigured, via its own menus, to connect as a memory device
> via USB.

The Olympus SP-560UZ is one such camera which (like my mobile phone) asks
you which type of connection you would like when you first plug it into USB.

This whole 'configure it as a computer sync device or configure it as a
mass storage device' palarva is a relatively new 'invention', as a lot of
older devices (ie. my old Olympus 3030) just act as a mass storage device
only. I'm sure manufacturers are trying to make their devices overly
complex by adding all kinds of whizy 'computer synchronisation' features,
"would you like your camera to synchronise with Outlook?" - NO DAMMIT, I
WANT TO DOWNLOAD MY PICTURES YOU CRETINOUS HEAP OF PLASTIC!!!!! :-)

> However some makes of camera - Canon is one of these - require dedicated
> software to connect. It is, I think, a sort of TWAIN driver and is
> supplied with the camera, but only for the Windows OS.

No they don't. My Canon EOS 30D works fine on RISC OS without any drivers
or additional software (although I'm still working on a RAW decoder/viewer
for RISC OS)

> Using a card reader seems to work for any type of camera and memory
> medium; card readers are cheap and nowadays cope with almost every type
> of memory card., though SCHC will possibly be a problem.

True!