[haiku] Re: please keep non-GSoC comments out of these threads; was [GSsC] usermode Haiku or file system development

  • From: Nickos V <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 12:07:25 -0600

> I am sorry, but you got it upside down. I was the one insulted! It is
> Matt Madia who insulted me.
Yes, Matt insulted you and it was uncalled for.  Everyone on this listsaw it.
No need to bring it up over & over.  Let it go.
Jorge, you made your points on Matt & Haiku's direction clear.
I agree that it would be nicer if the focus was more towards getting to
Alpha->Beta->R1 quicker (would attract more developers) BUT:1)  Haiku would not
exist without developers (they coded Haiku)2)  Developers use their unpaid,
spare time to code and should code on what they want.  You think it is fun
being in a room codingafter working?  Or having someone tell them how to use
their time?3)  Since developers are writing the Haiku code they should decide
what to work on themselves.4)  writing code happens quicker when developer
enjoys workingon certain task/project
Also, the focus this time around for GSOC participants is to attract developers
who will stay and contribute to Haiku in long run.  Letting students program
something that excites them (enjoy) has better chance of getting them to finish
and stay on after completing their project - whether it be for R1 or R2.  So,
in the end this could pay off too.
Getting Alpha2 out will also attract a few casual developers too.Attention and
focus needs to be put on getting this done soon.
All of us should be happy that Haiku even exists.  These guys couldhave done
something else with their time instead of working tocode Haiku.
You voiced your suggestions and concerns and they were heard.That is all you
can do and have to accept whatever decisionis made in the end whether you agree
with it or not.  That is life.

Lets all try to get along.  Thanks

Live connected. Get Hotmail & Messenger on your phone.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9724462