[haiku] Re: please keep non-GSoC comments out of these threads; was [GSsC] usermode Haiku or file system development

  • From: Jatsek Platsek <platsek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 04:44:32 -0700 (PDT)

Jorge G. Mare wrote:

> Locale kit, antialiasing, webkit port and others all are good examples of
> successful GSoC projects.
> But they have not helped get Haiku closer to R1, and that's the point that
> Jatsek was making (and
> that I agreed with). Not that they are not welcome features (heck, I am
> translating Haiku like crazy
> and love Web+); but it's like the never ending story of adding more and more
> to the features set and
> never getting there (there being R1).

> A line has to be drawn at some point, and IMO we are way past that point to
> be considering dedicating
> resources for more post-R1 features.

I assume that most of the core Haiku developers put their opinion about the
topic (or off-topic) of this
thread (I have no idea how many of you there are) - but what is amazing is the
fact that you are the only
one who sees the need to freeze Haiku code base and get it finally released.
It's so great already - I can
hardly resist not to choose it from bootman menu every time I start my Dell X1.
A little touch here and a little
touch there - and you are the heroes: people who developed (recreated if we
talk about R1) the most
amazing operating system in the world in group of 11, 12 (I am guessing now)
people developing actively at
one time.
I know that you don't do it for fame and fortune - but it will really be
something historical. ReactOS is not
so close to recreate Windows as Haiku is to give us back the BeOS, better BeOS.
We can skip FreeDOS
I guess and Linux which are a little bit different category - so, you will be
probably the first ones. Being
the first one is great - I know what I am talking about since I am the first
child of my parents (that's my only
achievement when I managed to win - but I am still far away from calling myself
a looser... :) ).
Gosh... Haiku looks great, works great - it has everything that I want from OS
in its first incarnation (I am not
talking now about the broad choice of available software). I don't get this run
for having almost everything in R1.
Does Windows 7 recognize and handle any other file system than FAT and NTFS?
Yes, you will tell me now
that as a mainstream OS it does not have to. But Haiku does not have too as a
new born child. Children learn
slowly. But looking at them while gathering all new skills year after year (not
so good analogy to RX after RX)
is lot of fun. Keeping Haiku in its pre R1 stage is like extending the
pregnancy to 12, 14, 36 months and
wanting your new born child to be able to shuffle the cards or drive a bicycle
just after his/her birth. But that's
not how mother nature wanted it to be... :)
I am not even close to call myself strategist - but I think that announcing the
release of R1 (read: putting all
possible forces to make it less buggy) would benefit much more to Haiku than
setting every summer a group
of new developers not DIRECTLY helping the dream to come true.
Jorge, if I had any idea about developing operating systems and I was a part of
Haiku development team - it
would be two of us opting for cutting down the amount of all the not directly
R1 related projects. You are alone
for now - but know, that you are perfectly normal: children do not come to this
world with moustaches... :)

Well, at the end I can see that I wrote something that amazes even me - the
author... :)

Best regards for all of you Haiku developers, you are great - but let it happen
finally! :)
Jatsek

Czy juz jestes w Yahoo!?
Masz dosyc spamu?  Poczta Yahoo! dysponuje najlepsza ochrona przed spamem
http://pl.mail.yahoo.com