[haiku] Re: please keep non-GSoC comments out of these threads; was [GSsC] usermode Haiku or file system development

  • From: Jatsek Platsek <platsek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 06:10:10 -0700 (PDT)

Simon Taylor wrote:

> Jatsek you need to be a little more careful when entering a community
> and insulting some of the long-standing contributors. Koki has a history
> of ruffling feathers, which I agree is not always a bad thing. Matt has
> done a hell of a lot of work on the Haiku Inc side of things.

Simon, is it only me who finds what Mr. Madia did rude and impolite?
My reaction was perfectly normal. I would do the same if he attacked
anyone else. It had nothing to do with the fact that he attacked Jorge,
who seems to share my point of view when it comes to so called 'focus'.
I am not long enough here to have any like/non-like ones between you,
Haiku people. I simply respond to what I get in my eyes - and what I
got here from Mr. Madia was simply extraordinary... Non reacting (even
in new environment) is not my way of doing.

> Giving core R1 features to GSOC students seems a huge risk and could
> potentially delay R1. Much better to have the core devs work on those tasks.

Yes. Your note convinces me. I guess I know how most of you feel when
you read again some impatient comments like mine asking to get more
focused while you are as focused as possible possibly. But there are more
people like me out there. I just wanted to let you know. tonestone57 claims
that you developers do not read regular Haiku forums - so, I came here to let
you know about our moods. We can't wait to have it here finally. We have
been waiting for so long. And it scares us when we hear developers considering
some new features in R1 (like those IMAP and Gmail file systems which
came as new enhancements today) at the moment when we all wait for
alpha 2 and first beta.
I am in a little bit different position since I was mainly looking
for os giving a pleasure to program for rather than using it (I am quite happy
with Leopard for now). And actually I can call myself totally happy with
the current form of Haiku. I have no problems with Haiku GCC4 as a
development platform for my little apps. Another story is that they are quite
primitive... :)

> So you're obviously welcome to believe there is a lack of focus. Those
> who have stated it already, we get that's how you feel. Restating it
> will have little more effect than continuing to annoy the contributors
> who we actually depend on to get us to an awesome R1 release.

Ok. No more words on it from my side.

/Jatsek

Czy juz jestes w Yahoo!?
Masz dosyc spamu?  Poczta Yahoo! dysponuje najlepsza ochrona przed spamem
http://pl.mail.yahoo.com