[haiku] Re: please keep non-GSoC comments out of these threads; was [GSsC] usermode Haiku or file system development

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 14:42:32 +0200

Hi,

On 2010-04-08 at 14:21:31 [+0200], Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> scott mc wrote:
> > Haiku R1 is already mostly defined.  Most of the GSoC projects will
> > not be in R1, so don't get overly concerned with it.
> >

> And that's the point; too many projects (GSoC or not) going on that do
> not contribute to R1...

Which ones?

> > These email threads are from potential GSoC students to present their
> > project ideas and for getting feedback, please try to keep them on
> > topic.
>
> ...so +1 on being off topic, but unfortunately the guy does have a
> point: Haiku development does lack focus. I know this may shuffle some
> feathers, but I just had to get it off my chest...

GSoC students should be encouraged to propose what they feel most motivated
to work on. Our list of ideas is pretty focused otherwise, AFA I am aware.
Preferring projects that bring us closer to R1 may or may not be a good idea.
It's been discussed in past GSoCs. For example GSoC projects being successful
to the point of being integrated with the code and part of the image are not
the majority. It means focusing GSoC projects on R1 bullet points may
actually delay R1 if they are not successful.

In any case, I find these "potentially feather shuffling" statements somewhat
discouraging. Bottomline is you (and others) are expressing your
disappointment. While you certainly have every right to do so, somehow I
wonder if this is deserved seeing how much the people who contribute code to
the project try to do their best. I don't agree it's true either. I don't see
those projects which are not focused on R1. I'd love to hear examples. The
only recent thing in this direction I noticed was the GoogleFS that François
worked on, but I can see why he would bring something he worked on back into
working order.

Best regards,
-Stephan