[openbeos] Re: Bootable Test CD

  • From: "Andrew McCall" <andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:35:21 +0000

On 27/03/2008, Joshua Cummings <jrac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 10:15 +0100, Thom Holwerda wrote:
>  > On 27 mrt 2008, at 09:01, Niels Reedijk wrote:
>  >
>  > > I like that idea. I actually thought a lot of doing something like
>  > > this: I hope to assemble a Haiku alpha 1 testing pool of a group of
>  > > 5-10 volunteers that will be testing diverse aspects of alpha 1 on
>  > > their machines. Since the priorities at this moment are the booting
>  > > from the CD, installing and partitioning (almost in that order), I

[SNiP]

>  > I'd like to help. I can test on a few machines myself, too, and have
>  > access to a few more. What exactly did you have in mind?
>
> I too have an abundance of varied systems readied for testing.
>
>  Maybe we could outline a testing process for each of the mentioned
>  features and gather our results. Compile some sort of report at the end
>  to provide feedback on different hardware scenarios.

While I don't think that Haiku is ready for mass-market testing.

I think getting some sort of testing process up and running is a great
idea.  I have access to almost 5000 machines, all Dell desktops,
laptops and server that have been made over the last 7 years right up
to ones made this week.

If an automated test procedure could produce some sort of dump to a
floppy disk or USB key, or even if available direct via the Internet
information could be cataloged automatically on what works and what
doesn't.

...but as I said, I don't know how ready Haiku developers are to
accept .  I know they have a plan on how they want to roll out an
alpha, and I don't know how useful info on what Haiku doesn't work on
would be right now.  I think the last thing that would be of use is a
load of random emails to developers saying "this card works" or "this
card doesn't work".

--
Thanks,

Andrew McCall